Sunday, November 16, 2014

"I went to the woods..."

A few weeks ago, one of our good friends invited us to join her and another friend for a Saturday morning hike.  It was a quintessential fall day -- a vibrant blue sky, a crisp chill in the air, and bright foliage still hanging onto the trees.  We ended up making our way around Walden Pond in Concord, MA.  The location was made famous by transcendentalist Henry David Thoreau, who lived in a tiny cabin (10' x 15'!) on its shore for two years, beginning in 1845.  In his work, Walden, he wrote, "I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life..."  As we spent the morning taking in the beauty of God's creation, I think we experienced a glimpse of living deeply, as Thoreau described.








No comments:

Post a Comment